Federal Mogul America

FEDERAL-MOGUL AMERICA

The foundation of Federal-Mogul was laid in Detroit, Michigan, at a time when one of the world’s largest industries, the automotive industry was emerging.

The origins of Federal-Mogul, an enterprise that was soon to contribute to the shaping of the world automotive industry, go back to the Muzzy-Lyon Company, established in Detroit in 1899. Muzzy-Lyon, improving on the Babbit metal that was being used as the main alloy in engine bearings, started producing its own Mogul Bearings.

After joining forces in 1923 with the specialist in bronze engine bearings, Federal Bearing, the company’s name was changed to Federal-Mogul in 1924. Merging with the Formetal Company in 1949, then with the Bearings Company of America in 1953, with the Bower Roller Company in 1955, and then acquiring the National Motor Bearing Co., in 1955, Federal-Mogul ranked the 350th on Fortune Magazine’s largest 500 listing in 1956. In the next period, Federal-Mogul expanded its production volume, formed strategic alliances and strengthened its structure with further takeovers.

In the years 1998-2000, Federal-Mogul was continuing its growth, acquiring 13 additional companies. Federal-Mogul’s sales in 2003 reached at 6 billion dollars.

LEADING BRAND

Federal-Mogul is a leading brand for both original equipment and spare parts. The Izmit and Sapanca plants that are located in Turkey produce top quality pistons, rings and liners and contribute to the overall success of Federal-Mogul.